[PEAK] PeakPlace, Junction

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Sun Dec 7 16:45:50 EST 2003

PEAKers, there's now a collective project space called PeakPlace at
tigris.org:

   http://peakplace.tigris.org/

There's a CVS repository there for collaborative work on PEAK-related
projects.  The focus is meant to be for actual working projects, though
larger PEAK examples are also welcome.  Let me know if you'd like CVS
access.

I've checked in the code for what I'm calling "Junction".  It's the
initial version of what will be a message-oriented-middleware utility
built with PEAK and Twisted's Perspective Broker.  It has a long way to
go, but it can already take some of the pain out of using Perspective
Broker and also includes a basic publish/subscribe mechanism.
Unfortunately there's no documentation yet (other than what's in the
interfaces), but there is a simple working example.

   http://peakplace.tigris.org/source/browse/peakplace/src/junction/

Coming soon: a shift to real messaging (e.g. full decoupling of method
calls from objects; messages used for pub/sub), SLP (rfc2608)
advertisement and discovery of messaging services, and some quality of
service guarantees (e.g. messages saved locally if unable to send, saved
on messaging server if unable to deliver), and communication alternatives
beyond PB (e.g. CORBA, PyRO, SOAP, XML-RPC, and there's no reason why IRC
or Jabber couldn't be used for pub/sub; even SMTP should be a possibile
transport).

All comments and critiques are welcome.

_jpl_