[PEAK] Newbie Question

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Fri Dec 5 17:49:44 EST 2003

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:00:00 +0000, William Trenker <wtrenker at shaw.ca>
wrote:

> I'm trying to wrap my brain around PEAK.

Welcome to the club! :)  There's definitely a lot to wrap one's brain
around, but the rewards are well worth the effort.  In my experience, once
you get going with PEAK it's hard to go back.  I'd especially hate to have
to write any code without peak.binding.

> I've got a newbie question.  It's pretty silly, I'm sure, but it
> reflects one place where I'm stuck.  I have a simple SQLite database
> that I'm trying to access using PEAK.

Have you see the scrap of a tutorial in the PeakDatabaseApplications entry
of the wiki?
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PeakDatabaseApplications

There's not much there yet, but there is a small example of doing simple
things with database connections which you could use verbatim.  It also
talks about how binding fits into the picture and why its useful in such
an application (i.e. opening one database connection and sharing it simply
and easily throughout your application).  You should be able to write some
basic SQL-oriented database apps using what's there now; later it will
include more advanced examples and discussion of PEAK data managers and
model classes for a more object-oriented (and far more powerful) approach
to managing your data.

Let us know if you hit any other roadblocks and someone should be able to
help.  You might also check out the #peak IRC channel for a (sometimes)
quicker response.

_jpl_