[TransWarp] Publish/subscribe and PEAK components

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Fri Aug 22 14:54:42 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 07:04 pm, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Offhand, I'd suggest creating an "event service" component that receives
> events and redistributes them.  But, I'd also mention that component
> hierarchies are intended to be "mostly static".  If you are doing
> substantial configuration changes, it's probably simpler to just throw out
> the components and let them be rebuilt from their recipes.  It's not like
> component construction is a very expensive activity, when compared to the
> real work of your application.

Is there any reason why there couldn't be an option in PEAK to allow
configuration changes to be dynamic?   Basically the existing .ini-based
configuration mechanism is almost exactly what I need, except for the need to
change properties on the fly with notifications/callbacks going to interested
parties.  I'd really like to be able to make use of the existing
infrastructure for lookups and such rather than reinvent the same wheel for a
slightly different usage pattern.

- John