[TransWarp] PEAK Tutorial

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 13 22:19:15 EST 2002

At 11:20 PM 11/13/02 +0100, Ulrich Eck wrote:
>Hi Phillip,
>
>>Understood.  I'd like to have some useful example applications, but until
>>we finish the rest of the 0.5 release plans, there aren't many generally
>>useful programs we can write that show off the framework.  The binding,
>>config, and naming packages are extremely useful as *part* of an
>>application, and could be used to develop sysadmin-ish scripts and tools,
>>but "real" apps want a domain model and storage capabilities.
>
>at least config and naming are really new to us (didn't have such a thing
>with Transwarp) and some (complete) snippets would help alot to
>get into it without having to dig through all the code guessing how
>it could work.

The main usage for the naming system is to have a way to decouple "what"
you want, from how it must be accessed.  Thus, one may reference a name
like "myApplicationDB", and have that translated to an actual database
connection.  Logfiles, lockfiles, and various other kinds of services are
useful to look up by name as well.  In theory, if you have a distributed
object naming service, you could implement a peak.naming "context" class
which could be used to retrieve objects from the naming service.

At a more detailed level, the naming package also provides support for
"addresses", which are generally more specific than names.  Instead of
"myApplicationDB", an address might be something like
"pgsql://user:pass@server/dbname", to specify a particular PostgreSQL
database.  Addresses are also handled by naming contexts, but for many
kinds of addresses, it's sufficient to use the "GenericURLContext" and
simply register a URL scheme class that parses the address and provides a
default implementation for retrieval.

So far, the naming package only has two contexts existing: AbstractContext
and GenericURLContext.  Before 0.5, I'd like to have at least one "flat"
namespace context (e.g. a context that looks up configuration properties)
and one "hierarchical" namespace context (e.g. a filesystem context that
gives you a namespace into a file system).  Currently, the two contexts Ty
and I have built outside of PEAK proper are simple flat contexts that run
off of configuration files that are of interest or use only in our
employer's runtime environment, that allow us to refer to existing abstract
names (e.g. "app1_db") for database connections in that environment.

A big advantage of the peak.naming framework is simply that it defines a
standardized interface for dealing with, well, namespaces.  An application
written to use the peak.naming interfaces doesn't need to be changed much
to deal with different back ends or changing low-level details.  One gives
the system names, and gets back objects, or gives the system an object and
tells it what name to store it under.  If you take a look at the JNDI
tutorials for Java, you'll get an idea of the motivation behind
peak.naming, but of course peak.naming is *much* simpler to deal with both
as a user and as a framework extender.  (Although there are still some
minor bits of Java cruftiness remaining in peak.naming that I haven't yet
figured out how to purge.)

The configuration package is designed to do two things: 1) provide a
framework for "placeful" and "lazily immutable" lookups of data by
interface or property name, and 2) establish specific "root" components
outside of one's explicit component hierarchy which can supply a place for
"placeless" lookups.

Both utilities (keyed by Interface objects) and properties (keyed by
PropertyName strings) are looked up using objects' _getConfigData()
methods, if present.  If something isn't found, it's looked for in the
object's parent, and so on until the "top" of the explicit hierarchy is
reached.  At that point, the system continues the search at the
"LocalConfig" which corresponds to that root component, and then finally to
the system-wide "GlobalConfig" object.

This is the basic infrastructure of peak.config.  In addition, peak.config
offers a variety of components and functions to make the actual
configuration process easier.  For example, it can parse configuration
files with a fairly sophisticated, Python-and-PEAK-oriented format, that
supports inclusions of data in arbitrary user-defined formats.  (See the
"[peak.config.loaders]" section of the peak.ini file, and the
config.ISettingLoader interface.)

peak.binding, peak.config, and peak.naming all interconnect with each other
in fairly intimate ways.  Binding components define _getConfigData()
methods, for example, and attribute bindings like bindToUtilities and
bindToProperty call back into the configuration system to look up
values.  The naming system relies on configuration properties and utilities
in order to find handlers for different name and address schemes, and to
control its operation in other ways.  Attribute bindings of course can also
call into the naming system to look up other components, and the naming
system components are implemented in terms of binding components.

Where things get really interesting, and it can make your head spin when
you think about it, is that since the naming system is controlled by the
configuration system, which in turn is completely contextual, it means that
you could in principle have two components with a completely different idea
of what say, "http:" means.  Which is a very good thing, because in the
same application you might have different components that *need* different
things from an HTTP connection.  All you need to do is supply appropriate
configuration "near" the affected objects.

And you can do this either at runtime via the config API's, or you can do
it using things like binding.Constant() at code-writing time.  Or you can
put it in a config file...  Or...

Well, guess I should save something for the tutorial, huh?

>We have experience in using the binding package and i can probably
>guess how the storage parts work.

The easiest way to jump into a PEAK package, at least if it's relatively
mature, is to look at its "interfaces" module.  For example, in the naming
package you'll see IBasicContext for naming lookups and address spaces,
IReadContext and IWriteContext for namespaces that can iterate over their
contents or store things for you, etc.

You needn't even use the source for this, as the online API docs render the
interfaces almost as thoroughly (and more pleasantly formatted) as the
source code.

>you have a note about a small script from ty .. would it be possible
>to give this as an example (all needed files) on how config and naming
>works ??

Afraid not, since as I mentioned before they're being used for proprietary
things and wouldn't be of much use or interest outside anyway.  But the
"peak.ini" file is a pretty good example of some of what the config system
can do, and is also a good entry point to seeing how parts of the naming
system work.  Interestingly, it was Ty's first reading of the "peak.ini"
file that prompted him to say "This is something I could almost *use*!"

>that would save us a lot of time ..
>and like i said before, we're willing to help writing howto's
>and examples like i did it for Transwarp 0.2
>
>what do you think ??

I'd love to have some help.  But I don't really have any non-proprietary
uses of PEAK to pass out to anybody right now, and am unlikely to until
after the model and storage packages are done for 0.5.  So if there's
anything that you can do to document, based on the code and docs that are
out there right now, then great.

I tell you what, if you have a naming service that you use right now for
distributed object stuff, how about you create a naming context based on
it?  I'll "walk you through" the process of creating one via e-mail.  And
then it can either get included in PEAK or supplied on the side as an
example of a naming context.

The first steps for creating a context are:

1. Decide if it will be a Basic, Read, or Write context.  A "basic" context
can really only look things up, or check if the name exists -- effectively
__getitem__ and has_key() operations.  A "read" context can also iterate
(think keys(), values(), items(), etc.), and a "write" context can have
objects bound or unbound in it (think __setitem__, __delitem__, and rename).

2. Subclass AbstractContext (found in peak.naming.contexts).  Define a
"_get()" method, based on the instructions found in the source of the base
class.  This will get you a "basic" context.  Add an __iter__ method if you
want a read context, and so on.

If you'll take a look at these steps and bring me your questions, I'll help
you through it.