[TransWarp] PROPOSAL: Rename "TransWarp" itself

Roché Compaan roche at upfrontsystems.co.za
Mon Jun 10 06:14:01 EDT 2002

> As I continue thinking through the tutorial outlines, a distinct
> theme has
> been emerging: TransWarp is actually a Pythonic form of J2EE.

And that is way I have been shouting out loud to everyone I know that
Transwarp is one of _the_ most import projects in the Python world. I've
really racked my brain about why Java has such wide appeal and Python
not and it might be as simple as that Java has a big marketing engine
like SUN behind it and Python not.  I also think that Python does not
scratch the primary itch for many application developers:  I want to
draw a model and have a framework generate as much of the code as
possible and I want a good data abstraction layer.  Transwarp will give
this to Python.

This weekend I decided to catch up with what has been happening with
Transwarp.

Ulrich's examples and my experience with ZPatterns helped a lot in my
understanding.  I have made a new connection class for a MySQLConnection
and started working on a SQLModel.  I'd love to help with PEAK ;)
development if I my brain doesn't overload but module inheritance
simplifies things a lot, suprisingly.  My primary concern is data
abstraction for SQL and ZODB storage.  How far is development on a
SQLModel and what should I keep in mind when doing this?

Another thing I did that helped a lot in my understanding is to simply
step through method calls generated by RecordManager.getItem and
Record.exits since this gives one a good a idea where caching comes into
play and when the database is queried.

>The best name I've thought of so far is the Python Enterprise Application
>toolKit (PEAK).  It's short, has positive connotations, and even lends
>itself to a nice logo concept, perhaps rendering the "A" in PEAK as a
>mountaintop...

I love it!

--
Roché Compaan