[TransWarp] Re: PROPOSAL: Rename "TransWarp" itself

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jul 16 10:28:54 EDT 2002

At 12:50 AM 7/10/02 -0700, Christopher White wrote:

>The problem with "Python Enterprise Application Toolkit" is that connotes
>software and a specific library at that. For such an important endevour by
>contrast, both Sun and Microsoft bring to the table branding--not just
>product branding but conceptual branding. They portray the brand as a Way,
>a Path to realization. For the quasi-religious programmer mind, this is a
>potent stuff. For the technical manager/decision maker, this is a simple
>message easily transmitted.
>
>The Python space suffers some from a lack of conceptual brands. There are
>some, however. Python is itself one, Zope another, and Twisted seems to be
>gathering steam. But for the most part, the extended Python environment is
>littered with bits and pieces--libraries, snippets, and scripts.
>
>For your endeavor I would call it simply "PythonEnterprise" and use your
>new name as the slug line. Continue to refer to software specifics and the
>root package as PEAK or peak as the case may be. But give yourself the
>space to expand the potential connotations that the words "Java" and
>".NET" do in the imagination of IT and the programming world at large.

Thanks for the comments; sorry I didn't reply sooner; since you sent just
to me and not to the list, your message ended up buried deep in the bowels
of my inbox.  :)

I think that "Python Enterprise" needs to be a larger movement than just
PEAK.  Zope is a part, and other Python efforts like the new Persistence
(and Transactions) SIG have a role to play as well.  In this context, I see
PEAK as the "Python Enterprise" Application Kit, being a single entity that
plays well with other "Python Enterprise" systems like Zope.

So although I agree with your thoughts in general, I think as they
specifically apply to PEAK, it's far too ambitious a claim for PEAK to
declare itself "Python Enterprise".  That's a much bigger brand than PEAK
is really aiming to be, even if it'll encompass much of the practical
delivery of that vision.