[TransWarp] Documentation Plans for PEAK

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 12 08:26:45 EST 2002

After talking with Ty and Mark over the last few days, I'm revising our
documentation plans for PEAK, because the current plan isn't working out
very well.  Although many people have commented favorably on what I've done
so far, it isn't progressing as quickly or smoothly as I would like, *and*
I'm pretty sure it's not about the right things.

It's become clear that we need more kinds of documentation as well as more
of it.  So the new strategy is going to be to create both a "Developer's
Guide" and a "Tutorial", in addition to the "Reference".  The Tutorial will
be re-done as the development of a useful application over time, adding
more and more sophisticated features as it goes.  The "Reference" will be
generated from docstrings, as it is now.

Finally, the "Developer's Guide" will be a collection of illustrations and
commentary on the major use cases for each package, along with much of the
kind of material that is now in the early tutorial draft.  But the
organization will be different, downplaying sequential presentation in
favor of compact, separately usable (and writable!) components.

Ty and I have pretty much agreed that although we want a tutorial document
in the long run, the audience both here and at our workplace would be
better served in the short run by documentation with less depth, but
covering a lot more breadth.  And, by choosing an organization that's
modular, we'll make it easier for more people to contribute to the
documentation, and it should be easier to write, too.

At present, I'm thinking we'll organize this by adding files like
DESIGN_GOALS.txt GUIDE.txt, EXTENDING.txt, and suchlike to each
package.  This will allow the existing HappyDoc extraction process to
create HTML versions of the structured text, and incorporate it as part of
the API reference.

I'd also like, however, to add some use case-driven documentation.  For
example, a "How to configure caching for Data Managers", or "Implementing
Cross-Database References and Proxies".  Right now, there isn't any
convenient way to generate such documentation, so it may just have to be a
set of text files in a "GUIDE" subdirectory of each package, or something
of that sort.

Whatever we do initially will probably change a bit as we get it settled
in.  I'd like to establish templates for each of the various kinds of
documentation, but until we've written some, we won't know what the
templates should look like.  So that'll be an iterative process.

Anyway, this is just an update so you guys won't be wondering how many
years it'll be before the tutorial gets to a chapter with stuff you care
about.  :)  Sometime soon, I'll be updating the master to-do list to better
reflect our documentation goals for the 0.5 release, which will be to have
"requirements and design" briefs for each of the binding, config, naming,
model, and storage packages, that show enough of an idea of what the
package is/is for that a motivated person could dig into the API docs and
accomplish something.

The tutorial will remain essentially as it is for the time being.  But as
soon as the information currently in the tutorial has been assimilated into
Developer Guide segments, I'll take down the PDF version to avoid confusion
as to what documentation is most up-to-date or is going to be updated in
future.

We're also looking at candidates for a sample application to develop with
PEAK, that isn't related to our proprietary work and can therefore be
distributed.  We want something simple, because we can't afford to spend a
lot of time designing it.  I'm also worried that anything we do that's
complex enough to be useful, is going to have a lot of Zope 3 overhead
components to explain, if it's web based, or a lot of GUI components to
explain if we do a desktop app.

It may be that the best thing would be to show how to put a PEAK object
layer onto an existing application.  For example, to take some existing
database-backed web application, and then create a tool to import and
export from XMI files to allow "hot sync" from offline work with that
tool.  I don't know.  Maybe we need lots of smaller examples, like a Python
documentation tool that generates the developer's guide from use case
files, using the naming system interfaces to traverse the input and create
the output.

So...  as always, your comments, questions, and feedback are
welcome.  Also, if you have an app you were going to develop with PEAK
anyway, I'd be more than happy to give you a little extra help with it if
we can then turn it into an example application.

Per Roche and Ulrich's previous comments about docs and sample apps,
though, I realize I've got to get a lot more information out there about
certain parts of the existing code base before anybody can really write a
good sample app...  which means I need to start writing developer guide
articles.  :)

So my immediate documentation deliverables for the next week or two are
probably going to be the updated TODO, coupled with a use case
listing/outline for the overall developer's guide.  I may also do some of
the overview docs for the peak.model package, as I'm about to do some
refactoring there, mostly to bring it into some degree of alignment with
the OMG MOF metamodel, but also to make it easier to extend for various
purposes that I'd like to use it for in PEAK (like creating URL syntax
specifications from a metamodel).

But I digress, and I've got a lot of things to do before I get to the
office this morning.  Hope this is a useful updated for everybody, and I'll
probably post various items for comment as things go forward.